Andrew's Reviews > Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 4: Unstoppable

Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 4 by Joss Whedon

Jan 12, 09

bookshelves: yes-i-m-a-geek
Read in January, 2009

I still protest the choice of conflict for Joss' overall run of Astonishing, but the conclusion is at least a fairly enjoyable flurry of fun. He gives most characters a chance to shine, and the interactions are done with his typical flare.

It would be interesting to go back and read all the Astonishing volumes at once to get the full scope of it all now, but as I have been at the mercy of friends lending me the volumes to date, I am... well at the mercy of friends.

Cassiday does a great job. His style isn't my preference all the time, but you can't argue with the storytelling and consistency. It is exactly what most people want and thus all the awards he has received for the run.

If you want a more self-contained, complete, and modern X-Men story, Whedon and Cassiday are likely the way to go. I didn't like the series as greatly as many others (see my opening), but I did still like it. A little preknowledge of the goings on may help, but not as dependent as some other books.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 4.