Jessica's Reviews > Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: One Dead Spy

202724
Oct 03, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction, graphics-n-comics
Read in October, 2012

As unlucky spy Nathan Hale awaits his hanging, he bravely faces the hangman and says, "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country." Then he is swallowed by a giant US History book. What? You don't know that part? Huh.

Nathan Hale then regales the hangman with the story of his life, his part in the Revolutionary War, and the failed secret mission that resulted in his capture. It's fantastic. Not only is this an amazing story: war! spywork! colorful characters who really lived! but Nathan Hale- the author and illustrator, that is-- is a masterful artist. With a few dialogue bubbles and some meticulous yet deceptively simple pictures he brings the whole story to life. It's a perfect blend of real facts and quotes, maps, charts, and portraits, plus more amusing pictures, jokes, and even a bonus story about Crispus Attucks. Also, his research is done by a team of sarcastic babies! Adorable, sarcastic babies!

This is a great book to introduce US history to younger readers, particularly if they are fans of Baby Mouse or the Wimpy Kid. This is a great book for older readers who are history buffs. It's a great book for fans of graphic novels, and suitable for all ages. I really loved it, and I'm excited to read the second of Hale's Hazardous Tales: Big Bad Ironclad! Oh, yes! This is the first in a series of graphic novels about US history, and I can't wait. My second grader and my husband are both hooked as well, and I had to read my sister's copy of this, because I refuse to arm wrestle a second grader. (I would totally win, but still.) In fact, the book I read was the second copy my sister had bought, because her first copy was taken by someone in the history department where she teaches, and never returned. Yep. So good it turned an upstanding high school faculty member into a thief!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales.

11/18/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Taber Jessica, while not really for kids, you might enjoy the biography of Nathan Hale I read last year by M. William Phelps called "The Life and Death of America's First Spy". Depending on the reading level, I'd even say it is engaging enough for a teenager to read, enjoy, and even learn some things in the process.

--CT