Annie's Reviews > Hexwood

1851966
Jan 11, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in January, 2009

While reading Laura Miller's essay about fantasy and Narnia, I had a sudden urge to read some Dianna Wynne Jones. I have read absolutely everything by her I can get my hands on before, so this is my second time around "Hexwood."

It's a bit messy, but the ideas are interesting enough to keep me hanging on the edge. It's a complex narrative, based on the assumption that reality is easily bent and none of the characters are who they think they are, or that they are where they think they are and that time is completely undependable. Then, there's the added layer of English and Welsh mythology combined with science fiction.

There's a lot going on, but as usual Wynne's sharp characterizations pull me along. They're so very practical that it makes it hard to think of her fantasies being called "escapist," like maybe "Twilight" or "Eragon" (or even something like Nancy Drew or a James Patterson novel). I think they're what make her novels so very satisfying. After reading her books I usually feel like "this is how fantasy should be done."

"Hexwood" actually improved on the second reading because with a vague idea of what was going on it wasn't half as confusing.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hexwood.