Kathryn's Reviews > Mossy

Mossy by Jan Brett

Oct 03, 12

bookshelves: childrens-picture-books, nature-animals
Read in October, 2012

I always enjoy Jan Brett's illustrations, but often her stories are a bit lackluster for me. Not so with "Mossy", which I found both visually stunning and emotionally engaging. It is the story of a turtle named Mossy who spends so much time by the mossy pond that moss begins to grow on her shell and soon she has a miniature garden blooming there. Just when she meets a new boy turtle and is eager to be his friend, the curator from the local natural history museum and her niece find Mossy and think she will make an amazing display! They set up a beautiful glass home for Mossy and think she has everything she needs, and people love coming to see her. But the niece wonders, Is Mossy lonely? Does she want a friend? There is a happy resolution and a gentle message about animals and captivity that I really appreciated. The illustrations are gorgeous-gorgeous-gorgeous! So lush and beautiful. This would make an especially good spring-time read.

Thanks to my local librarian, I found out that Jan Brett is actually coming to our area on a "Mossy" tour so I plan to go see that in a few weeks. I'm very excited! All you Jan Brett fans out there might want to check to see if she is coming to your area, too.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mossy.

Lisa Vegan Kathryn, Oh yes, I do love Jan Brett's artwork, and this book looks adorable. I'll check and see if she's coming closer to me, but odds are I won't be able to attend. I can't wait to hear what you think after you've seen her in person. Maybe you can get an autographed copy of this, if that appeals to you. Definitely adding and checking to see if I can reserve it at the library. Thanks!

Kathryn I hope you both get to enjoy the book even if you can't see Jan Brett in person. I'll definitely post back with my reactions after the presentation. It hope it won't disappoint!

Lisa Vegan Kathryn wrote: "I hope you both get to enjoy the book even if you can't see Jan Brett in person. I'll definitely post back with my reactions after the presentation. It hope it won't disappoint!"

Thanks. I hope you thoroughly enjoy seeing her. I have the book on reserve.

message 4: by Kathryn (last edited Dec 05, 2012 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn Chandra wrote: "Thanks for the rec. I do like Jan Brett - although I'm not super fond of how she draws people. I really love some of her books and I think she is a really cool author/illustrator/person."

I know what you mean. Well, it's a pretty even people/turtle ratio in the illustrations here, but the borders are so gorgeous with all the flora and Mossy herself is so cute that I would still recommend this over not.