Bukcrz's Reviews > Thorn

Thorn by Intisar Khanani

Oct 05, 12

bookshelves: own-can-loan

Wow, and again wow!
Though the book description sounds like this book will be your run of the mill Prince meets Princess, golden-heart Princess saves the Prince, and they live happily ever after. Not even close. It sounds that way at the start but soon, the twists and turns in the story will caught you off guard with its depths and truths.
The heroine’s (Princess) appeal and strength lies both on her lack/flaws (depends on who you ask) and her desire for a new path in life as she displays very universal emotions like fear of the unknown, self-preservation, pain of loss, joy of belonging, and the burden of taking responsibility. I do not mind at all staying in her mind the whole time (book is in first voice) because as soon as I thought I knew what she’d think, she’ll surprise me with a great spin while still gripping my attention from beginning to end.
The hero (Prince), though viewed through the heroine’s eyes presents a silent, tortured and caged man on both his own making and others. I like him even more (or the author in this case) when his position as prince was not the final solution to every hurdles they encounter.
I love that this book is a perfect blend of the main character’s coming together and their fight against a common enemy both inside themselves and outside.
A bonus plus is that it’s a book for young readers as well as adult.
A definite keeper on my shelf.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thorn.