Tori's Reviews > The Lucky One

The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

F_50x66
Jan 11, 09

Read in January, 2009

Nicholas Sparks never fails to captivate my interest with his impressive novels for I have read and enjoyed them all. As soon as his most recent novel, The Lucky One was released, I knew that I had to read it and can now easily say that I was far from disappointed. Nicholas Sparks has the ability to combine certain elements, such as love and fate, in an array of storylines, each with their own wide variety of characters. The Lucky One contains several of the familiar elements present in Sparks’ previous novels but in its own unique way.
The plot in this novel is developed around a photograph of a beautiful, smiling young woman found by a soldier, Logan Thibault, while stationed in Iraq. The following is when Thibault initially comes across the photograph. “With his hands on his hips, he continued to catch his breath, and it was then, from the corner of his eye, that he spotted the dull gleam of a photograph, half buried in the dirt. He stopped to pick it up and noticed that it had been cheaply but neatly laminated, probably to protect it from the elements. He brushed off the dust, clearing the image, and that was the first time he saw her” (Sparks, 21). When no one comes to claim it he decides to carry it with him in his pocket. He considers this to be his “lucky charm”. After returning home feels that it is his duty to find this woman for he believes that she somehow holds the key to his destiny. Thibault travels across the country to find her and when he does, they are both taken aback by the attraction they feel toward each other. Thibault, however, initially decides to keep the photograph a secret and he and Elizabeth have a passionate love affair. Little does he know that this secret will threaten the relationship that they have developed and ultimately will affect the rest of their lives.
It is apparent that character development is a huge aspect throughout The Lucky One. The reader is immediately introduced to several main characters, Keith Clayton, Logan Thibault and Elizabeth Green, but not in an ordinary way. Nicholas Sparks brilliantly allots each chapter for a different character. As the novel develops, the character’s lives slowly start to intertwine and become more involved. The reader soon understands the deep relationships between them and how they each impacted each other’s lives for the better. The following excerpt provides an example of this. “Despite the nightmare they had all endured, Beth realized that she felt a kind of… peace for the first time in recent memory. Since the funeral, she’d grappled with the extraordinary events that had led to that fateful day. She knew that many people in town wondered about he choices she’d made. Occasionally, she heard whispers, but for the most part, she ignored them. If Logan had taught her anything, it was that sometimes her faith in herself and her instincts was all she had” (Sparks, 323).
Nicholas Sparks never leaves any questions unanswered or any loose ends. If I were given the opportunity to speak with him, I would ask him where he finds the inspiration for his novels. The Lucky One is truly “an unforgettable story about the surprising paths our lives often take and the power of fate to guide us to true and everlasting love”.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lucky One.