Jessica's Reviews > Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

Aug 19, 07

bookshelves: food

I had started poking around Julie Powell's blog rather late in the game of her writing it, so it was very hard to catch up with her adventures in cooking. I looked forward to the book, which I expected would tighten the diary structure and take us through a cohesive story. Boy, was I disappointed.

This book is a mishmash of anecdotes about Julie Powell's life that spring off of her central narrative without rhyme or reason. I think I could forgive that, if they were interesting anecdotes, but they're mostly a strange combination of self-aggrandizing and self-deprecating. Powell talks about what a mess her apartment is, at the same time she pats herself on the back for being young and married. She touts her theater background (and a very strange story about making pie for David Straithairn, or wishing to make pie for him, I'm not really sure) at the same time she whines incessantly about her job.

But the story of cooking through Julia Child is a lot of fun to read. I wish this book had focused on that, and the stories around shopping for, preparing, and serving those dishes, and less about Julie Powell, hipster blogger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie and Julia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melina Too bad about the book; I never picked it up since I read the whole thing on the blog in the first place.

I think those digressions you find so irritating in book form are less so when you're reading a blog. A blog is chronological and one doesn't expect the story to unfold in a tightly constructed narrative. What makes good blogging doesn't necessarily make good literature.

Petra X I quite enjoyed the book, but I agree, it was a bit of a mishmash. I fell out with a group on GR because I didn't totally rubbish the book because it was written by a Democrat who expressed her views!