All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Soulbound

Soulbound by Tessa Adams

Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

SOULBOUND, the first book in Tessa Adams new Lone Star Witch series, is a fantastically dark and suspenseful paranormal romance with unique worldbuilding that had me completely absorbed. The pacing is quick and the descriptions of magic and various rituals are so detailed and vivid that I was glued to the story.

Love interests being destined or bound is a much used trope in paranormal romance and I really loved the unique take on the soulbinding between Xandra and Declan. I liked that Declan wasn’t the all knowing ‘alpha male’ who needs to lead Xandra to her full capabilities. He’s wrong at times and along with Xandra doesn’t know what’s going on. This shared confusion makes for some nice bonding moments and puts them on almost equal footing in regards to finding the serial killer.

Beyond the romance, one concept that I really liked was the idea of a Royal family of witches (I’m hoping that this hierarchy of witches and magical creatures is explored more in future books too). It played a big role in forming the character of Xandra, who has had to cope with being the only non-magical member of the Royal family. Her mother in particular is one scary, frustrating lady and I applauded Xandra for putting up with her.

(One note of caution for reading SOULBOUND is that there are some possibly upsetting, graphic scenes involving a serial killer.)

The almost too abrupt ending definitely leaves a lot of questions and anticipation for what will happen next with Xandra’s powers and the soulbinding with Declan when the second book of the Lone Star Witch series, VENGEANCE BOUND, comes out December 3rd 2013 by Signet.

Sexual content: sex scenes
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulbound.