Delaina's Reviews > The Convenient Marriage

The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer

Jan 11, 2009

Recommended for: Jane Austen fans
Read in January, 2001 , read count: 3 or 4

Heyer is the queen of English Regency romances -- fans of Jane Austen movies who can't quite get a handle on her novels can read the novels of La Georgette and gain a wealth of context and insights into the era. I absolutely adored this story, and for a long time it was my favorite Heyer. The set-up goes like this:
Headstrong and outspoken (despite a stammer) 17-year-old Horatia saves her two elder sisters from sacrificing themselves upon the marriage altar for the good of the family. Her family has a "fatal addiction" to gambling and is therefore quite strapped for money; the Earl needs to settle down with a suitably respectable girl of the haute ton. Horatia takes it upon herself to propose marriage to her sister's 35-year-old suitor--who raises an amused eyebrow and urbanely agrees to the new arrangement. Thus begin the adventures of a flighty young woman who falls deeply in love with her worldly husband, and fears he could never love her.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Convenient Marriage.

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder Although GH is the queen of the Regency romance, she did write a few Georgian romances and The Convenient Marriage is one of them.

Delaina It's true. I think I originally wrote that review for a different site, different audience, and just transferred it here when I became a group member.