Jason's Reviews > Joyland

Joyland by Stephen King

M_50x66
Jul 01, 13

Read from June 30 to July 01, 2013

I thought this was a decent book. Not one of my favorites by Stephen King. It's a good book to revert to if you don't have other books on the shelf. The middle was a bit too slow, but the ending was picked up. The only reason as to why I rated this 3/5 stars were two reasons. 1) Picking up this book, I expected a real Ghost story, only to read that the horror aspects of the book were the subplots, and the juice of the story was just Devin's time at Joyland and the people he meets. 2) I thought that King made a bit too many paragraph talking about how Devin missed Wendy. I understand the first few times, but at others it sounded redundant. I kept saying to myself "Okay, okay. Devin loved this girl enough to marry her. We get it. I don't need to read a Lifetime clip of a Soap opera show. All in all. It's a good summer book. There are numerous colorful characters, and a few (*cough* *cough* Eddie Parks and Gary Allen *cough *cough*) that made me want to slap them in their literary faces. But yeah, I reiterate. It's a nice book to read at the beach or by the pool. However, in my opinion, if you want a hands-on horror/ghost story, this has that, but only as the subplot. As aforementioned, the heart and soul of the story is Devin at Joyland, the people he meets there, and his relationship with the Wheelchaired boy he meets on the beach. The actual horror aspects didn't come until mid-200's (as in the pages). I'd recommend this book to anyone that DOESN'T have any other books they are planning to read. I liked the book, but I think this book is one that you would casually pick off the shelf as you finish others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Joyland.

06/30/2013 marked as: currently-reading