Julie's Reviews > A Corner of White

A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty

5919279
Oct 02, 2012

bookshelves: book-series, my-own, great-atmosphere, my-favourites
Read from April 13 to 14, 2013 — I own a copy

This book is a gem.
Utterly un-classifiable. Partly epistolary, partly normal. Partly in our world, partly in a Kingdom of Cello, where people are afraid of colour attacks. Partly about a girl, partly about a boy. Jaclyn Moriarty once again wrote a brilliant, brilliant story. Original, like nothing that was written before. I feel like sucking her sentences in my mouth, savouring them.

Madeleine Tully lives with her mother in Cambridge. They are poor, but they used to be wealthy, very wealthy. Madeleine ran away from home, and her mother followed her.

Elliot Baranski lives with his mother in the Kingdom of Cello. His father disappeared, rumours are that he was kidnapped by the colour purple.

A crack opens. Between Cello and our world. Just enough for a letter to slip through. When it does, Madeleine is cycling. The letter appears to be stuck in a broken parking meter. Madeleine replies. In Cello, the letter is stuck in a broken TV. This is how the unbelievable friendship between Madeleine and Elliot begins. While it is easy for Elliot to believe that he’s writing to the girl-in-the-world, Madeleine thinks he’s making up the whole Kingdom of Cello thing. Wouldn’t you think the same?

As the story proceeds, both Madeleine & Elliot realise that their lives are connected, and that they are able to help each other.
I highly recommend this and other Moriarty’s novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Corner of White.

Quotes Julie Liked

Jaclyn Moriarty
“This is what I want you all to do. I want you to open a new document and type up a list of three problems in your life. Not the universe's life - your own. Underneath, type the solutions."

"If we know the solutions," said Belle, "they're not problems."

"Exactly," said Denny. "You do know the answers to most of your problems. Somewhere deep inside, you know.”
Jaclyn Moriarty, A Corner of White