Paula Maguire's Reviews > Faithful Place

Faithful Place by Tana French

F 50x66
Oct 02, 2012

I enjoyed this crime novel set in Dublin, though some of the writing was a bit clunky. I don't normally read crime novels as I find them too formulaic, but somebody on the review show gave this such a glowing recommendation that I thought it was worth a try. The main character is a well developed rough diamond with typical Dublin wit and banter. I enjoyed most of this, in a nostalgic way, thought some of it seemed contrived. Stock characters, especially the mammy, were unpleasant stereotypes, though made me reflect on my bossy nature when dealing with the children. I guessed the murderer when i first encountered him, and I'm not particularly quick, but the book was entertaining enough to enjoy now he was nabbed. The sub plots of divorce, and dysfunctional families were handled well. By far my favourite passage was the epilogue, where Frankie reminisces on his first kiss with Rosie. Out 'drinking rough' with his mates in an abandoned house, listening to kids playing in the streets, Mrs Kearnes scrubbing the steps, Mr Daley singing, 'Raised on songs and stories' etc. was a pleasure and reminded me of similar co ing of age moments!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faithful Place.