Alcyone's Reviews > The Landmark Thucydides: A Comprehensive Guide to the Peloponnesian War

The Landmark Thucydides by Thucydides

Jan 10, 09

bookshelves: currently-reading

Favorite quote:
"The absence of romance in my history will, I fear, detract somewhat from its interest, but if it is judged worthy by those inquirers who desire an exact knowledge of the past as an aid to the understanding of the future, which in the course of human things must resemble if it does not reflect it, I shall be content.
In fine I have written my work not as an essay with which to win the applause of the moment but as a possession for all time." -Thucydides

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Landmark Thucydides.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katie I remember memorizing that!

message 2: by Harry (new)

Harry I read, "The Peloponnesian War", during my senior year in high school. The instructor kept me under a watchful eye; I suppose he was waiting for me to tire of the book, but that never occurred. He was surprised when I turned in a book report on Genghis Khan, instead. So surprised that he claimed I hadn't written the paper myself. I thanked him for the compliment. The previous year, in an English class, I had begun reading Northrup Frye's, "The Stubborn Structure." Only, in that instance, it troubled another instructor, and her assistant, to such a degree that they insisted that the entire class turn towards reading a common book, selected by the instructor, instead of allowing us the freedom to read whatever we cared to read.