Antof9's Reviews > Hitty, Her First Hundred Years

Hitty, Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field

Jan 10, 09

bookshelves: read-the-newberys, 2009-read, americana, biographies-memoirs, charming
Read in January, 2009

Read as part of the Read the Newberys" reading project. This is by far my favorite of the Newbery books read yet (we started at the oldest and are working our way to current time). In fact, it was fun and entertaining to read. It's Mehitabel's (Hitty's) memoirs, and is so fun to read. Hitty, of course, is a carved wooden doll, who chronicles her life through owner after owner after owner. Hitty's adventures in a way reminded me of The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle, another Newbery book, but were far superior and way more entertaining. Maybe because I'm a girl? I don't know, but I was as engrossed in the quaint and charming writing of this book as I used to be in any story of the "Littles" or "The Borrowers". Man, I loved those books. The idea of a doll or a toy or some other inanimate object telling her adventures like this just made me so happy!

I'm also entertained by the subtitle "Her First Hundred Years" -- as if her next hundred years will be published soon :)

After many Newbery discussions about how disappointed we were in the quality of books and our assumed age of their readers, this is exactly what I'd been hoping for, and I can imagine lots of young people being engrossed in hearing Hitty's story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitty, Her First Hundred Years.

01/10/2009 page 47

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by bookczuk (new)

bookczuk I'd forgotten all about this book. It made me smile to read your review. Thanks for the memories!

Antof9 I never read it as a kid, but I wish I had. I'd have loved it then! Glad to make you smile :)

message 3: by bookczuk (new)

bookczuk I'm gonna write one on Dr Bear's first 100 years, someday. :)