Jenny's Reviews > Rules of Civility

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles

Oct 01, 12

I think the best way to review this is to note my scribbled thoughts about 115 pages in....this is when I finally felt like the narrative was taking hold.

"Remember The Great Gatsby? This is like that....dreamy, wandering, more about the city and the time than about the characters itself."

Although at this point, the narrative did tighten up and follow more of a straight line, it was still a narrative about a city and a time. The characters seemed mainly to exist to bolster the view of the skyline and the events of the late 1930s. I found myself wanting to know more about what these characters were feeling - did they love each other? Did they not? Did they care about the losses and betrayals? Did they attach themselves to each other for any real reason? None of that was clear to me. But at one point, I just decided to read for the language and know that (to me) the characters were there simply to move the story/painting/love letter to a city along. Not usually the type of novel that appeals to me, somehow in the end, I found myself contemplative and having enjoyed it in a way.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules of Civility.