Mark's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Aug 15, 07

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2007

This review does not give away the ending (and shouldn't they all say that, if it's a hot whodunit). I thought this was a very satisfying wrapup to the series, filled with hope, despite some true tragedies along the way. This last book could have used some editing in some of the developmental sections, I thought, but I can imagine that Rowling wanted to have some slower sections to contrast with the high-speed, dizzying action sequences. Plus, she was trying to show the frustration of the fallow periods of a quest, and just how human her young questers are in their inability to always figure everything out.

I do think it would be difficult to pick this one up and easily understand all the references, even though Rowling is as good as anyone in trying to fill in backstory. At this point, though, she has just accumulated too many characters and past subplots to brush up a new reader on everything.

It also has many good small moments. The burial of one favorite character was particularly well done, and for some reason, I really liked one of the professors marshaling a set of student chairs to attack during the final battle scene.

I'm not intimately familiar with the classics of children's literature, but as for me, I think this series well deserves its accolades and its place as a classic of the genre.