Anne's Reviews > A Little Princess

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Jan 10, 09

bookshelves: re-reading

I must have read this book about a million times when I was younger. I think what I liked best about it was the descriptions of the clothes and the people and especially the food. I could read the chapter when the Magic happens over and over again.

That said, I can't stop thinking about something a friend of mine once said about why she preferred The Secret Garden to A Little Princess. Mary Lennox, she said, came from India a peevish unpleasant person, and by the end of the book she was a friendly happy little girl because of the garden and Colin and Dickon. But Sara Crewe doesn't change at all. Which is the point, I guess--she manages to stay true to herself despite adversity. But she's so PERFECT to start with--it's almost superhuman. She's TOO good, which is much harder to relate to. I think more people probably relate to Ermengarde, the poor fat best friend, than relate to Princess Sara.

That said, there is still something magical about the end of this book, with the Indian gentleman. I also still love the part where Miss Minchin tells Sara she has to learn French, and the French teacher is like, "She does not speak French, she IS French. Her accent is quite exquisite." :)
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Little Princess.