Ryan's Reviews > Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

Oct 13, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read from October 01 to 02, 2012

It's been a long, long time since a book has kept me up past the time I wanted to crash, but Robin Sloan did so unbelievably well. Indeed having only started the book yesterday I expected to finish today or tomorrow, but the story, characters, and plot were so remarkable that I just could not put it down.

First off let me say this is a book for book lovers. Secondly this is a book for tech lovers, and unless you have a solid balance of the two, it may be hard to truly enjoy both aspects. Instead of the standard gloom and doom and death to books scenarios that are popping up in more tech oriented books, Sloan manages to paint an almost optimistic picture of what is to come. A combination that throws open the doors of possibility and a future that I would readily live in. Another thing I should mention is that this is not science fiction nor is it even set in the future, it just has a quality about it that makes you look at the world around you in a completely different light. From how we use our phones to the latest tablets coming out, my perspective has shifted entirely.

Since this is still somewhat a mystery based novel, going into too much detail is dangerous, but suffice to say if you are a bookworm who can't put down their smartphone this is the book for you. There's a splash of romance, a dash of intrigue, a heavy dose of mystery, and top it all off with some wry humor and a fascinating set of characters which all combine to make Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore one of my top picks for the year thus far.

More reviews and recommendations at http://ryetopia.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.

10/01/2012 page 33
10.0% "I got into this at work, The Social Animal is just going to have to wait."