Stephen's Reviews > The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had

The Well-Educated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer

Oct 05, 12

Read in October, 2012

I was somewhat prepared not to like this book since the subtitle "A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had" struck me as rather stuffy and elitist. Classical education proponents tend to be too full of the past to value the present. Such, however, is not the case for this author and this work. She is a clear and gifted writer with a well-educated mind. The breakdown of the tasks involved in reading different genres of literature and her three-stage approach to reading well are very helpful to whoever seeks to read and educate themselves through their reading in a serious way. The historical analysis of the developments in each genre are insightful and informative. A lifelong reader myself, I found myself drawn to her explanations. Some will quibble with her lists of proposed readings, but that is always the case with "this is what you should read" lists. Hers include modern and lesser known works as well as the standard literary canon.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Well-Educated Mind.