Bethany's Reviews > Criss Cross

196116
Jan 14, 09

bookshelves: audio-books, youngadultfiction, started-and-never-finished
Read in January, 2009

Well now I better understand the fuss about disappointing Newbery Medal winners. This book was boring, not memorable, and the characters did not interest me one bit. I don't know if perhaps it was the "listening" rather than actual "reading" that made it unejoyable, but this story just didn't grab me in any way.

As I struggled through the 2 1/2 discs that I listened to, I was trying to figure out why it won the Newbery. Hmmmm....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Criss Cross.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Deborah Amen! I thought the same about The Higher Power of Lucky. Luckily, the committee does pick some good runner-ups!

Bethany I read The Higher Power of Lucky after it won the award, and I thought it was a good book. I don't know about the best contribution to children's literature, but it was good - definitely better than Criss Cross. I'm eager to hear this year's pick while in Denver.

message 3: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac I liked the Higher Power of Lucky. Criss Cross? Not so much. In other words, I agree.

Adam It is definitely not a book you should listen to on audiotape. The layout and style of the text is half of the enjoyment and probably more than half of the reason it got a Medal.

eliza rich I read the book and it still sucked like crap. That thing nearly bored me to tears. There were so many pictures I was starting to wonder if this book was for kindergarteners and why was u reading it. I hated it alot so 'the stott' [I think that's your username thing I can't see it from my review thingy I am typing on my iPod so sorry if that's not right :0 ] but I read it and found It quite boring but if u like it I guess that's just you. ( just puttin my opinion out there, sorry if I offend anyone)

Alice Novinte Criss Cross is the kind of book you have to actually read to like. There are pictures and it has a very original layout. If you only listen to it you won't like it, although it is kind of boring in the beginning. It took me four tries to actually get through the book but when I did I liked it.

message 7: by Darla (new) - added it

Darla I tried reading it and listening to it and I just couldn't get into it. I will have to go back to it at some point because I want to be able to say that I've read all the Newbery winners.

Ashley I agree. I din't really even get the setting.