Jesse Herring's Reviews > Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

U_50x66
Jan 10, 09

Read in June, 2008

I must admit, the only reason I read "Through the looking Glass" was because I found out that Tim Burton's (along with everyone else's) 'Alice in Wonderland' (which comes out in 2010) takes elements from both stories, but his incorporates some details I've yet to see in any of the movies, like the White Queen.

They were enjoyable books, and like Douglas Adams, Lewis Carroll takes non-sensical things and makes them seem reasonable (but sometimes you have to re-read something cause in one line you can get lost cause of something weird happening.)

The only drawback of the book is that it's all about morals and not much of main character development, but rightly so, it is an old children's nighttime story. But there was no over all scheme of the book, just the happenings of Alice in Wonderland and in the Looking Glass world. And the quickness of things happening takes you off guard, like Alice is talking to a porcupine who's knitting with 16 sets of knitting needles and all of a sudden they're floating down a river...yeah.

Now I write all that to let you be fare warned, but it is an enjoyable book! Be weird, let your inner child be free! WEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088693/

The best screen depiction of both 'Alice' books that I've ever seen. A made for TV mini-series that my mom recorded for us in the late 80's. My sister and I watched this over and over and over again it's become a classic part of our childhood. Chalk-full of over the top stars dressed in elaborate costumes that one would only see on the stage these days. Great song interpretations of the most memorable parts of the book. There's an awesome rendition of 'You are Old Father William' sung by Sammy Davis Jr. and a few appearances of the White Queen . . . I'm a very avid Tim Burton fan myself and I hope his version hits one out of the park. But this will forever be it for me!