Roxane's Reviews > Ragamuffin

Ragamuffin by Tobias S. Buckell

Dec 27, 09

bookshelves: racial-issues, science-fiction, caribbean, space-opera
Recommended for: space opera fans, readers looking for something fresh and original
Read in July, 2009 — I own a copy

There are not many authors out there who can write entertaining fast-paced space opera stories, tightly built political intrigues and introduce diversity in their cast of characters. Tobias Buckell is one such authors and does it all effortlessly it seems. Ragamuffin is smart, fast, serious science fiction but no info dumps. It's refreshing and highly recommended.

Book one, Crystal Rain, hit home because it took place in a Caribbean setting that reminded of my childhood. Book two, Ragamuffin, reminded of why I loved space opera so much.

Also note that, though this is the second book in the series, you may read them in whatever order you feel like. Another smart thing on the author's side: each book is standalone. Sure some characters appear in several or all three books, but you don't have to have read them all to enjoy. That's for all of you who are tired of never-ending genre series.

I'm eagerly waiting for Sly Mongoose (which is the third book and for now it seems final book in the series) to come out in paperback.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ragamuffin.

07/16/2009 page 160
45.45% "And loving it!!!"