Angela Oliver's Reviews > Thirteen

Thirteen by Kelley Armstrong

Oct 01, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in October, 2012

And thus concludes, finally, one of the best Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance series that I have read. It's been quite a journey - from the day I first discovered "Bitten" in our remainder bins at work - bought it and began deovuring my way through the series, then eagerly awaiting the next instalment. Daydreaming about Jeremy and Lucas, or wishing to be Elena. Later in the series, my attention began to dwindle. I could not love Hope, did not really feel endeared to Savannah. Sure, she's a mature woman now - but I still remember her as the angsty brat that gave Paige so much strive.

"13" is a whirlwind of a novel. A rollercoaster. After the slow nature of the two preceeding books, it's almost like Kelley just wanted to get everything into this one. The characters barely have room to breathe - let alone eat or sleep! And she cannot let her characters go - every one of the main cast must appear in some manner - excepting Antonio and Nick, who are safely installed with the Russian pack. The body count is astronomical. There's pretty much no character development. If you'd picked up this novel without reading the previous twelve - or at least a number of them, you would either not be able to follow what was going on and/or not really care about any of the characters. It's all action-action-action. Which makes the teeny romance bits entirely not. Romantic, I mean.

Did I enjoy it? Yes - although it did lack some of the compellingness of the earlier novels. Maybe because, as I've said, I'm not a huge fan of Savannah. Most of the others I've read within a day - two at the most. This one took me five days - including my weekend. It did not feel as epic as I had expected - and I'm not sure I can really let these guys go just yet. Can't I keep one of them? Jeremy maybe?
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteen.