Rai's Reviews > Rage Within

Rage Within by Jeyn Roberts

F_50x66
Sep 30, 12

On many sites this book has good reviews, four or more stars, so my opinion is slightly different. After reading her first book, Dark Inside, I had high hopes that this book would be as riveting, interesting and inspiring as the last. Sadly, I found myself disappointed in this book.

The writing style of this book is similar and still good, to a point. There are times where some of the writing appears disjointed and some of the “voice” that was created in the first book gets lost. Writing style aside, the thing that lost my attention was the changes in the characters as they progressed through their experiences. Instead of being as strong, interesting and dark as they were before the characters, especially the females, are becoming more emotional, doubtful and insecure. Although there would be some truth to this occurring given the circumstances of the book, it gets frustrating as it continues throughout the chapters. I would also claim some of the characters to be “whinny” and it was enough for me to put the book aside while I read another.

What brought me back was a desire to know what happens in the book, especially hoping to find out why the world fell into chaos like it did. Roberts delivers well on this point, providing more substantial details about the chaos and showing the inner workings of the enemies. Unfortunately as gripping as this was, it did not make up (for me at least) the shift in the characters I’d come to like in the first book. Needless to say a third book will be difficult to get through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rage Within.