Claire S's Reviews > Woman on the Edge of Time

Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy

After fresh re-read, August 2010:
I am very glad to have finally re-read this! It was fascinating for itself, and then also for comparing it now to my memories of it and experiences of it when I'd read it before.
Many aspects that had really bothered me before - much of the content set in asylums - didn't *bother* me as much this time. Not that I didn't respond to it as negative and all. But with the passage of time, I think we build up a sense of ourselves and our place in the world, and that structure gives comfort which I didn't yet possess back then, an accumulated vantage point. I think about that a lot in the process of being a mother, selecting shared experiences with my daughter based on an assessment of where she's at, etc..
Anyway, I was even more positively affected this time by her utopia - she weaves in so many things that are only just now becoming topics of conversation in the mainstream, many that haven't yet been as well.
I was really curious in this reading to discover and identify her suggested answer, suggested path, suggested response to 'all that's going on', and, after finishing, I'm not sure I can exactly identify it. I'm not sure Marge actually provides that on a silver platter.
At one point midway through, the utopia folks speak of rejecting the idea of revolution, and instead speaking to change happening slowly through the actions of individuals etc..; but at the end, the action she herself (Connie) takes isn't at all a useful example for me to follow. I had been thinking about connections between her work and Aquarian Conspiracy, I had - in the intervening years - added my own content to this work; in which the Utopia folks request that Connie engage in specific lifestyle-actions or intention-based actions that will (in and of themselves) result in their version of reality becoming stronger. But I really didn't find content like that exactly.
In fact, I was a bit disappointed in that they clearly put a high priority on contacting her, they intimate to Connie that she's important, but it's never really clear: important in what way? Or perhaps it is clear, but I was so set on reading what I had imagined was written, I was distracted from the actual printed story.
Because, from A.C. and other things, I've developed a personal belief that every action of ours strengthens 'a' future reality, and we constantly get to choose which reality we strengthen. I had hoped to read that clearly here, but couldn't find it.
None the less, it was fascinating and delightful and nourishing and pleasurable for me.. Now that I am familiar with Proulx, I do find similarities between the two. The difference for me is that, while Piercy can be just as brutal, she does provide offsetting pleasure - Proulx (in my experience) really doesn't. I like that about Piercy. But I enjoy their searingly honest writing very much as well.

Original initial GR review: Loved it, read it long ago, still comes to mind regularly - as to the choices we make, and potential impacts. For instance. Initially read around Jan 1987 I think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Woman on the Edge of Time.