Shaun Duke's Reviews > Blood Engines

M 50x66
Jan 09, 2009

liked it
Read in August, 2008

Blood Engines is a gritty, urban fantasy tale that doesn't pull any punches. That's how I would describe it, at least. It follows a sorcerer named Marla Mason, the guardian of a city called Felport, and her companion Rondeau, a spirit-in-a-bottle, if you will, who has, in the past, stolen the body of someone else. Marla has a big problem: one of her rivals is prepping a wicked spell that will end Marla's life and destroy Felport in the process. And Marla can't have any of that. Marla and Rondeau must go to San Francisco to find a magical artifact that will give Marla the power she needs to counter her rival's spell. Unfortunately, nothing is ever as simple as searching for buried treasure. There's a new boy in the City By the Bay and he's knocking off local sorcerers one by one; and Marla is caught in the middle of it. With the local talent suspecting her to be the local murderer, her wicked rival planning to cast Marla out death-style, and a disturbing murderer running around killing people with poisonous frogs, will Marla be able to get the artifact? Or will she go the way of the dinosaur?

What I like about T. A. Pratt--who is also known as Tim Pratt, by the way--is that he's not afraid to push the boundaries. I'll be honest in saying that I am not terribly familiar with urban fantasy, at least not in this very modernized vein, but there's something to be said about Pratt's ability to take what would seem outlandish and absolutely insane to us and make it seem normal or, at the very least, less shocking. In some ways I think this is both a compliment and a complaint. Certain things that happen within Blood Engines are alarming; it is a highly sexualized book, for example, and takes sex to a different level, although without the overly described vulgarity of certain urban fantasy authors (who shall remain nameless). In some ways the inclusion of such sexual content into normalcy is a good thing, because it can reduce the shock value; in other ways it can hurt the overall story by making things that would otherwise have a purpose as shock value be somewhat needless. Pratt, thankfully, doesn't overload on the sexual content and I only found one particular scene to be somewhat gratuitous, though not so gratuitous as to make me uninterested in finishing the book. (Generally I'm against content for shock value, by the way, although sometimes it does have a purpose).

Blood Engines is an intriguing book. It successfully creates an entire underground world in San Francisco filled with sorcerers and magical beings, although not in the fanciful and rather flashy fashion of Harry Potter, but more along the lines of what you'd expect from a Philip K. Dick urban fantasy novel, if PKD would ever have written such a thing. Pratt, interestingly enough, has created different kinds of sorcerers, each with specific focuses and leanings. For example, there are sorcerers who have an affinity with the dead (ghosts, particularly, and souls), which allows them to raise the dead and use them for their own purposes, and sorcerers who are connected with technology, allowing them to manipulate seemingly advanced objects into a lot of really mean stuff--imagine a magically enhanced electronic alarm system. Each is woven into the underground, highly urbanized feel of Pratt's magical portrayal of San Francisco. It's as if this underground culture could very well exist (and wouldn't it be interesting if it did?).

I share one complaint with SQT that seems rather prevalent within urban fantasy, although more so on the paranormal side (vampires, werewolves, etc.): sarcasm is getting somewhat unruly. Marla fits into this mold, although, to her credit (and Pratt's), she doesn't become annoying (I noticed it while reading, but it wasn't something that made me want to drop the book); my complaint is mostly focused on a lack of diversity and perhaps my desire to see a more rounded Marla than I think was presented. The story and the weirdness of Blood Engines, however, kept me going and this is probably the most important aspect of any novel. No matter how funny you might think your characters are, if the story surrounding them isn't enough to keep the reader interest, then it's a failure. Blood Engines is, thankfully, interesting, though not without flaws.

I enjoyed Blood Engines and I was always curious to see what Pratt would do next to make his vision of San Francisco more gritty, weird, or downright insane. I will be honest, though, in saying that urban fantasy is not my forte. While Pratt's novel was entertaining and a relatively quick read, I think my general low interest in the subgenre prevented me from enjoying it further. If you're an urban fantasy nut, I suspect you'll love this book as much as I love a good space opera. Pratt is a decent prose stylist, fitting into a popular fiction mode quite easily, and I will likely look at some of his other work before continuing with the Marla Mason books (Poison Sleep, Dark Reign, and Spell Games). This isn't to say I didn't like Blood Engines or Pratt's work within Marla Mason's world, I simply want to test the waters and see what Pratt is all about. And I think I may do that by looking at Little Gods, which has one of the most beautiful pieces of cover art I've seen in the last few years.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Engines.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Fabulous review!