Dark Faerie Tales's Reviews > Married With Zombies

Married With Zombies by Jesse Petersen

Sep 30, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-sheila

Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Fun-filled zombie hunting therapy… need I say more?

Opening Sentence: David and I became warriors in the zombie plague on the first day, but don’t think that means we were front line soldiers or something.

The Review:

There are so many self-help books out there that they have their own section in bookstores. But how many couple self-help books use zombie killing to strengthen a marriage? This is the best book idea, EVER!

David and Sarah’s marriage is in trouble. Like most couples, they have sought professional help to work out their marital issues. Unfortunately in this particular session, their therapist seems more interested in eating their brains than talking through their feelings. A plaque has broken out in Seattle that makes people act like zombies. It’s hard to harp on your partner never doing the dishes if you have to dodge becoming the undead. Kind of puts petty differences and complaints in perspective, doesn’t it? David and Sarah may have their problems but they make a great zombie killing team. And while they still don’t have the most perfect marriage, they are a lot more understanding of each other. Who knew a zombie outbreak could be so beneficial to struggling marriages?

When zombies are real and your friends and family are out to eat you, where do you go for information on keeping yourself safe? It’s not like there is a course on this sort of thing at the local community college. Our heroes are forced to rely on less credible sources, like movies and stories. Of course, there is also the time honored tradition of “on the job training.” David and Sarah use a more trial-and-error method, finding weaknesses and trying out more “unique” weapons than just plain old guns. The longer they work together toward a common goal, surviving, the better they get along. I guess there is something to couples having a hobby they both can enjoy.

The self-help format of Married with Zombies is as unique as it is hilarious. Each chapter starts with a helpful zombie/marriage saying and then the story provides the example supporting it. Anyone who has read a self help book can recognize the style, if not the content. What this book offers is something far more entertaining though. Let’s face it, if a zombie outbreak did happen, it would happen at the most inconvenient time and we as people would have to improvise. I love how this book provides the comedy in times of crisis, both personal and global.

Overall, I think that this book is zombie-licious! There was action, suspense, and relationship tension with a humorous angle. David and Sarah’s journey offers several different reactions to the crisis that gives a sense of realism to the fantasy. I would recommend adding this book to your zombie apocalypse preparation kit.

Notable Scene:

“Run!” Dave whispered. “Go, go, go!”

I shook off my surprise and started booking it across the parking lot again. One of the zombies broke toward us and caught up to us pretty easily since we were slowed down by Dave’s injury. I pushed my husband behind me and did the thing you always see at some point in zombie movies.

I went kung fu on his zombie ass.

I sucked at it, too. The thing they don’t tell you in all the zombie movies is that zombies are a bit… squishy. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense. They are the living dead, after all, and their flesh is rotting away slowly but surely.

So when the first zombie reached us I did a straight kick into his abdomen. I expected him to fly backward a la The Matrix, but instead my foot sank into his flesh, almost like it was landing in really squishy quicksand.

Living with the Dead Series:

1. Married With Zombies

2. Flip This Zombie

3. Eat Slay Love

FTC Advisory: Orbit graciously provided me with a copy of Married With Zombies. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. The only payment received came in the form of hugs and kisses from my little boys.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Married With Zombies.