Claire S's Reviews > Oedipus Rex

Oedipus Rex by Sophocles

May 30, 09

bookshelves: studious-teenager-related, classics, historical, psyche-of, form_complexia, fiction, global, thtr-art-film-music-etc, unplsnt-b-good, explored-skimmed, language, magc-real-ism, philosophy, war-mltry-conflt-occ, to-read
Recommended to Claire by: Daughter's English class.
Read in May, 2009

I'm realizing now as I read through the synopsis - one of our local theaters - Penumbra - an awesome black theater - did a production called Gospel at Colonus that invovled this story. I saw it and it was just amazing, mostly musically. I remember the gouging of the eyes and just that pinnacle of pain.
Ok, now I'm all set to read with daughter's english class..

My edition is different, but doesn't seem to have an ISBN #, so oh well. It's got the Oedipus Plays of Sophocles - Oedipus the King, Oedipus at Colonus, and Antigone. By Plume. Translation by Paul Roche.

Ok, my daughter zipped through this already and is done with it, completely done, and there were no conversations in this case. It was fascinating to dip into it briefly, but to do it justice would take more time than I have right now. So, for now I'm marking it as past, rather than current. Will explore/read more another day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oedipus Rex.

04/25/2009 page 27
33.75% "Certainly one of those works a person could study for months. I'm just seeking a light familiarity."