Cynthia's Reviews > Season for Surrender

Sep 30, 12

bookshelves: romancer, retro-romance, first-reads-arcs
Read on September 30, 2012

2.5 stars;

Season for Surrender is a holiday themed historical romance where the scandalous Lord Xavier is hosting his annual Christmas house party. To make things more interesting, Xavier’s cousin Lord Lockwood proposes a wager: Xavier must invite and keep the proper Miss Louisa Oliver at the house for the full two weeks. Louisa, in turn is tired of her proper ways and accepts. To add to the mix, Lockwood is determine to win the wager by any means and well Xavier can’t have that can he now. With the cozy Christmas season all around, love is bound to spark.

I love regent house parties, if anything because it’s a good excuse for the couple to be in close quarters and in constant interaction. It’s just a tad unfortunate that I found the main couple personality wise a bit flat. They are however, very entertaining when actually interacting with each other, which I wish there was more of. But when they were, we get to see how they actually are under the facade they play for society, and I can see why they make a cute couple. Similarly the villain of the book was straight out of the bad guy cookie cutter. Lockwood was a jerk, who’s selfish and jealous of his cousin’s success and is determine to ruin their happiness. Louisa's aunt, however was quite funny and lively and brought the fun.

The plot was okay, but lacked the any solid substance. Nothing really happens, or rather the conflict and climax was a bit weak and to me, the problems the couple faced and that kept them apart wasn’t really problematic and could have been easily solved if people just weren’t so stubborn.

Overall the book was okay with touches of cute. A easy, fun holiday read for the historical romance readers.

{* Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing an e-ARC. Original review can be found at Bookmunchies}
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Season for Surrender.