Teresa's Reviews > Grimm Tales for Young and Old

Grimm Tales for Young and Old by Philip Pullman

Oct 22, 12

Read from September 30 to October 22, 2012

It's impossible to please all of the people all of the time but somehow, I feel Pullman has probably displeased most of the people most of the time with this version of Grimm Tales for Young and Old.

I would imagine that if you were purchasing this, you are probably nostalgic for a past when you heard or read fairy tales before they were transformed by the sickly sweet Disney machine. In that case, you will get some satisfaction from having a complete volume of Grimm Tales narrated in a more up to date language and the bonus of some little snippets of additional information about the background to the tales and similar tales around the world. Would this be suitable for young children to read... probably not as there is a quasi-academic tone and the lack of illustrations makes for a drab reading experience...even we "sophisticated" adults would appreciate a few visuals to complement the rather fetching cover.

If you are already a Pullman fan, you will probably want/need this to complete your collection but if not, it might not be what you're looking for. I enjoyed reading the re-worked tales but would need something different for sharing with the children, preferably a version with lavish illustrations.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grimm Tales for Young and Old.

message 1: by Lynsey (new)

Lynsey Dalladay Oh no, was looking forward to this but am now a little reluctant to get it!

Teresa It really depends on what your needs/requirements are Lynsey. From the outside it's a beautiful edition with the white slip cover, red hardback underneath and red ribbon bookmark attached...and then you open it and there are no illustrations. It feels a bit like someone ran out of funds on the production line! I love my memories of Grimm Tales and it is nice to have a proper edition but if I was buying a collection for someone else as a gift I think I'd look elsewhere. Plus I couldn't bring myself to let my daughter read it and discover that the prince got Rapunzel pregnant! ;-)

message 3: by Lynsey (new)

Lynsey Dalladay He did what!!! ha ha ha, good to know thank you, I too would prefer there to be beautiful illustrations if I was buying the Grimm fairytales in hardback.

Teresa Indeed, Lynsey, that's why the witch calls the prince a "lounge lizard"! Makes it all seem more Monty Python than Grimm but each to their own... ;-)