Ferdy's Reviews > Scorch

Scorch by Gina Damico

Oct 04, 12

Read from September 30 to October 01, 2012

3.5 stars — spoilers

Lex returns to Croak determined to find and stop Zara - the rogue Grim that murdered her sister.

-Lex wasn't the easiest heroine to relate to — she was aggressive, selfish and reckless but I've actually grown to like her, she made a change from the regular old Mary Sue heroines. Compared to the first book, Lex's attitude was more toned down, so she was a lot more tolerable for me this time around. Her tendencies to act reckless did get a bit annoying but if she acted any other way, it would have made for boring reading.
Lex was at her best in her interactions with Driggs, Mort and Cordy - their scenes were either awkward, sweet or funny. Driggs and Lex were as odd and cute as ever. The bathtub scene was great - I just wish it had been longer. I loved Mort's reaction to Driggs and Lex's relationship. It's always enjoyable reading a parent/guardian's reaction to their teenager dating for the first time.
Even though Lex will probably get on a lot of readers nerves, there's still a lot to like in other characters, most of the side characters were likeable and entertaining, especially Pip and Bang.

-I actually liked Zara in the first book even when she killed Cordy because of how she was getting rid of people who deserved to die, then she went crazy and started killing innocents. I wasn't as interested in her in this installment because she was just a typical, full on evil, bad guy. I preferred it when there was some good left in Zara and her crimes weren't so black and white. It's dull reading about a villain who comes across as one dimensional.

-I really didn't get why all the Senior Grims hated the Juniors, it didn't make much sense. It's not like they were going to steal their jobs. They all knew it was Zara who was killing everyone and not the other Juniors, so their reaction to Lex and co didn't make a whole lot of sense. I just don't believe that so many adults would be that idiotic and blind.

-I was surprised by what happened to Driggs, it better be fixed in the next book or I'll be seriously pissed.

All in all an enjoyable read, the plot was entertaining, the heroine actually had some personality, the side characters were decent and the setting of Croak and the Grimsphere were fun to read about.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scorch.

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah 4-stars have been in short supply for you lately. :P

Ferdy IKR..it's leaning more towards 3.5 stars but it was still a fun read:)