Judy's Reviews > Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Jul 24, 2015

bookshelves: my-2010-books, sci-fi-fantasy, book-ray-ring, 1001-list
Recommended to Judy by: bookcrossing book ray
Recommended for: anyone
Read from December 28, 2009 to January 24, 2010 , read count: 1

I received this on a book ray. It was very engaging once I got through the 1st chapter, I think. I especially enjoyed the section about the fabricants, fascinating, and the sections about Luisa Rey, but I have to admit to being a little unclear about the overall relationships between the chapters, except for a few obvious things here and there. I think it would have worked fine for me even as a collection of short stories, so it wasn't really a problem. The chapters were in various voices: a business man on a voyage among the Pacific islands in the mid-1800's, a young composer at odds with his parents who develops a relationship with a famed aging composer in Belgium after WWI, a young female journalist in California in the Governor Reagan era who gets in trouble investigating the safety of a nuclear power plant, a "fabricant" (genetically engineered slave) on a future Earth, and a young pacific islander (I had to skip this section, the style of speech was just too much work to decipher). These individual people, separated in time, somehow have things in common, like willingness to buck the system and experiences suffered at the hands of people corrupted by power. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

The author, David Mitchell, is one of the rising stars among British novelists; this is his 3rd novel.

I finished this book on a flight from San Francisco to Seoul.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloud Atlas.