Carol's Reviews > Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook

Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain

Sep 30, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-read
Read in September, 2012

Medium Raw, Bourdain's follow-up to Kitchen Confidential, after a ten-year hiatus, really isn't bad. But it certainly isn't as good as KC. I enjoyed KC, mostly because I had worked in the service industry for many years and wanted to compare it to my own experiences. I enjoy his television show No Reservations and thought I would give Medium Raw a try.

There were good parts and not-so-good parts. The good parts include stories from the cook line, descriptions of amazing meals he's had, and how he's adjusted to being a second-time husband and first-time dad. The not-so-good parts? The anecdotes when he gives his opinion of various chefs (TV stars or not). I don't really watch the Food Network cooking shows so I had never heard of most of these people. It felt like he was mostly trying to name-drop or stir the pot and cause controversy.

Would I recommend this book? Meh. I like most of Bourdain's work but this one left me unenthused. There are other, better books I should have spent my time on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Medium Raw.