crayolaab's Reviews > People of the Book

People of the Book by Geraldine  Brooks

Jan 09, 09

bookshelves: fiction, historical, 2009
Recommended to crayolaab by: library paperback picks shelf
Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

This is a fictionalized account of the journey through time of the Sarajevo Haggadah, an illustrated manuscript that managed to survive from the 1400s until it resurfaced in Sarajevo in the 1990s.

The book goes back and forth between the present day conservationist working on the manuscript, and the various time periods during which the haggadah's survival was quite uncertain. Through these flashbacks, the frequent conflicts between Jewish, Muslim and Christian people are highlighted. The book seems to be quite historically accurate, with sections taking place in Spain in 1480 & 1492, in 1609 Venice, Vienna in 1894 and 1940 Sarajevo. It's a really interesting peek into these different time periods and places.

I enjoyed this book very much and I've requested another of the author's books from the library - Year of Wonders, which is about the plague. I recently finished reading Pillars of the Earth and its sequel, World Without End, which is set partly during the plague years so I am looking forward to reading more about that era as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read People of the Book.