Sarah's Reviews > Once Again to Zelda: The Stories Behind Literature's Most Intriguing Dedications

Once Again to Zelda by Marlene Wagman-Geller

Jan 18, 09

Read in January, 2009

This book had a lot of potential -- I thought that the topic sounded really interesting. But in the end, I was quite disappointed. I'd hardly call most of the dedications she explains "literature's most intriguing" -- most of them were pretty straightforward dedications to one's spouse or parent, with nothing "intriguing" there. And really -- if you've read The Year of Magical Thinking, do you need an explanation of why Joan Didion dedicated the book to her husband and daughter?

The worst part of this book, though, is the writing. It read like a series of bad high school essays. I was going to include a couple of quotes by way of example, but I'll spare you. Suffice to say I literally rolled my eyes at some of her turns of phrase. I would expect much better writing -- and editing! -- from a book published by a major house.

In short, I don't recommend this book. If you want biographical blurbs about authors and their books, I think you'd be better served reading Wikipedia!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Again to Zelda.

01/18/2009 page 209

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kasia I concur! I said many of the same things in my review... including the ridiculousness of including the obvious Didion dedication.