sj's Reviews > In Sea-Salt Tears

In Sea-Salt Tears by Seanan McGuire

Oct 13, 12

bookshelves: end-of-the-world-challenge, read-a-thon, faeries-dragons-and-or-magic
Read on October 13, 2012

Holy shit, this made me cry. The Luidaeg is probably my favourite character in the October Daye books, and this was just lovely. LOVELY. More of this, please.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Sea-Salt Tears.

10/13/2012
17.0% "#readathon Woo, finished that first book, on to the next!"

Nerija OMG It's about selkies!!! Must get my hands on this NAO!

message 2: by sj (new) - rated it 5 stars

sj I totally thought of you when I was reading it!

Nerija, it is A FREE DOWNLOAD!

Nerija I just read it, and even not having read any of the Toby Daye books, it was amazing. It's such an interesting, dark version of the selkie myth. I kind of wish, though,
[SPOILERS, anyone passing by, BIG SPOILERS]
that Annie had just been Roane -- the Sea Witch angle seemed a bit too much. It was already heartbreaking enough when Elizabeth realized, out in the cove, exactly how she was betraying Annie by taking a skin.

Dang it, I knew the sad ending was coming, but those happy scenes between Annie and Liz were so lovely, I kept wishing it wouldn't all fall to pieces. Sigh.

message 4: by sj (new) - rated it 5 stars

sj Well, without reading the rest of the books (view spoiler) so even if it doesn't really fit with the TYPICAL mythos, it fits in with that Seanan McGuire has appropriated for her books.

I am so glad you read and liked it!

Nerija Ahhh, I see. I'm so glad I found this! It still surprises me each time I see selkies referenced in the mainstream…I guess part of me is still the 11-year-old who read her first selkie book (Sylvia Peck's Seal Child) and thought it was such a cool, obscure folktale that only Sylvia and I knew about ^_^

message 6: by sj (new) - rated it 5 stars

sj I'm so glad you found it too! Colin (who you'll remember was Liz's brother) has a bigger part in one or two of the Toby books. So, you might want to check them out. Specifically One Salt Sea, which I think could stand alone fairly well, and has a lot to do with the watery fae. I think you'd like that one as much as I did.

Nerija Sounds neat!