Jeffrey's Reviews > Ashes of Honor

Ashes of Honor by Seanan McGuire

Sep 30, 2012

liked it

Make it 3.5. As always, Seanan McGuire writes brilliantly - her characters are dense, believable - and funny! Her plotting is always tight and she effortlessly (OK, at least it *appears* effortless) creates that sometimes-difficult-to-define "sense of wonder" that to me is the hallmark of great fantasy and science fiction writing.

Entirely - even obsessively - readable, but lacking the polish and a bit of the heart of her earlier stories in this world.

Oh, and watch out for Power Creep!! In Rosemary and Rue, the first story in this series, the heroine, October Daye (Toby) was pretty underpowered for a kick-ass urban fantasy heroine. Now, that situation has been remedied. Mysterious blood power? Check! Heals even mortal wounds? Check! Hotly desired by. . .oh well, Check!

Urban Fantasy Power Creep is something I've noticed in quite a few series, going back to Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, who started out with a wimpy set of ill-defined capabilities that eventually morphed her into the baddest ass in town. Power Creep has to be seductive for writers because - well hey! Bad guy about to kick your protagonist's ass? No problem because the protagonist has recently (Developed / Acquired / Evolved / Been Granted) The Power of the Titanium Butt, rendering said portion of their anatomy entirely invulnerable!

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes of Honor.

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Haven't read this yet, though I did read Feed by Seanan's alter ego Mira Grant. I agree with you about the Power Creep thing. Anita Blake was a lot more fun when she had to use her wits.

Jeffrey Loved the whole Newsflesh series. She has another pointed going - the Incryptid series, it might grow on me .

Jeffrey Series not pointed¡