Leah (White Sky Project)'s Reviews > The Devouring: Kavachi's Rise

May 19, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: reviews
Read in October, 2012

This is another take on our favorite supernatural evil creatures. Thomas and Kara, the vampyres, are not exactly like the vampires we always read about. They need blood to survive, yes, but they're not your typical fanged undead creatures. They're members of ancient families of creatures that have evolved over thousands of years and when they transform to their creature or animal states, they're nothing like the usual beasts of nightmares. They were rescued from a Nazi prison camp, brought to the US and forced to work with the government in their experiments and what not until the government decided it was time for the program to be shut down. Of course, all the fun started when the government tried to kill them all.

I thought this book was pretty interesting. Certainly different from other vampire stories. I liked that the author presented a different kind of creature. I don't want to spoil anything, but I liked that these vampyres transformed into different, terrifying yet fascinating prehistoric type creatures and not your usual giant winged furry monstrosity. I also like the bits about them being prisoners of the Nazi government and the US government. It's always an interesting story when humans try to fit evil creatures into their big plans. This book was a very easy read. I finished it in a few hours. I feel that there's more to the story though and I guess this is because this is only book one of the series. I'd be interested to know what happens next. If you're tired of the typical vampire stories, this might be a book for you.

I received a review copy for the blog tour in exchange for an honest review.

Blog post here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devouring.

05/19/2016 marked as: read