Holly's pages in pink's Reviews > My Favorite Mistake

My Favorite Mistake by Chelsea M. Cameron

Oct 11, 12

bookshelves: meh, reviewed-2012
Read from October 10 to 11, 2012

This book swings in with a firm three stars for moi- here is why folks:

Here.We.Go.

Taylor is beginning her Sophomore year of college at UMaine- One of her roommates has backed out last minute and a replacement sent to the dorm room she shares with Darah and Renee- all good..except... the new roomie is a DUDE! No WAY! Not only that, but a HOT dude. Woot!!!

She is beyond livid that she has to share ANY space with "HIM" (aka Hunter)... in addition to THAT- She drew the short straw and gets to bunk with him- Horrible I say!!! Bunking with a hot, tattooed sex pot- who would DO such a thing??? (GASP!!!!)

So she blesses him with a right hook and a knee in the nuts. Surprise and welcome home! (rolling eyes)- then they go out and have drinks. Happens all the time to me. (Shaking head)

Needless to say, she gives him the cold shoulder and blankets him in all kinds of arctic air, reveling in her old high school nickname, "Ice Queen". Despite his awesome treatment/ welcome, he gives her three options to get him to voluntarily move out: Prove you hate me, love me, or sleep with me... all while staring at her chest. JOY!

Now. For me this book starts out down the right track- tenacious heroine- angry, a little bitter, full of sass.... badass hero just waiting to take our heroine off guard and lay down the law- that is where my praise on this topic ends. Soon, our heroine just sounds like an outright BEOTCH. Not a cute, cuddly, run away from feelings because she is scared kind of a thing- B.E.O.T.C.H.

I found myself saying "ooohhh HELL to tha NO!!!... Tell her to kiss your ass!!! Teach her some manners!!!" It didn't matter. Hunter didn't listen to anything I said (Helllooooo?????) He just took it. Literally. A few slaps, a few more hits, a few more attempts at the family jewels. About 100 more "I.Fucking.Hate.You"'s, "Get.away.from.me"'s- this is how much of this went:

"I'll make you a deal, Missy." (his nickname for her)
"Why would I want to make a deal with you?'
"Just hear me out. If you can prove to me that you hate me, absolutely hate me, then I'll leave. Find a couch to crash on."
"That should be easy; you can go pack your stuff now."
"You haven't heard the rest of the deal. If you can prove to me that you love me, absolutely love me, I'll leave."
"Are you fucking kidding me? I would never, ever love a guy like you."

So he thinks.... hummmmm... I will constantly sing to her, tell her how much I want to be with her, cook for her and all of her friends, clean up after everybody, buy her jewelry, etc.... buuuuutttt I'm gonna turn the other cheek when she treats me like CAAYYY-RRAAP! He freaking treats her like gold, and she gives NOTHING. Literally NOTHING until like the last 20% of the book, and EVEN THEN, its sketchy and completely unpredictable at best. For me, this sucked the alpha right out of a potentially HAWT alpha hero. He just took her abusive behavior, and did nothing to correct her or at least stand up for himself- it just didn't mesh well with the image that was being set up.

Much of her bitchiness is due to trauma from her early teen years (which I won't go into- it's most of the turmoil they deal with), and Hunter brings his fair share baggage along with him as well. So here they are, two damaged people, just trying to find true lurve, while trying to discover the others secrets. Hunter just seems so functional and NORMAL, NICE, SWEET, CARING and LOVING- his trauma (in my honest opinion) is SO much worse than hers, yet he manages to cope, while she manages to let her past have absolute reign in her life. Even after he breaks down and shares all of his secrets- she still withholds secrets, emotion and everyday kindness you would give out to strangers. Unbelievable.

The ending left something to be desired- and I pretty much docked it a star because of it. I was literally tapping my screen saying "where's the rest of it??... That was the end??... That sucked!" If there is a sequel coming that I am unaware of, I might reconsider adding a star back- but if not, that ending was not what it could or should have been.

The other star I docked was for her just being a pure B. I've never read a book in which the female lead was just SO downright mean. I didn't want to route for her OR for them because of it. It is one thing to be afraid of feelings and try to hide that emotion or avoid, deflect, even throw attitude- it is another to be verbally and/or physically abusive to someone who is trying to love you.

They do finally get it together, which is awesome- but in the back of my mind- I'm thinking that if Hunter were one of MY friends, I would have told him to run FAR, FAR away. If Taylor were one of my friends, I would be telling her to THANK HER FREAKING LUCKY STARS that he wants ANYTHING to do her- because she dang sure doesn't deserve him.

Important notes: The writing was good- storyline was VERY promising- characters developed well enough (just hated the main character, and really never warmed up to her), disappointing ending which fell flat for me.

That is all, friends. (Steps down off of my soapbox)
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Favorite Mistake.

10/10/2012
28.0% "I am really hating the female in this book- she's a total biotch!!! Get over yerself and stop bein' such a B!!!! Dang!!!"
10/11/2012
71.0% "Seriously?? That's it?? That's the big secret of why she is such a tortured soul??"

Duchess Nicole Love your review, and love your updates! This entire book was a big WTF for me. At no point did I see any redeeming qualities in Taylor. Can't see where the high ratings are coming from, but I guess people just took her differently than me. *shrugs*

Holly's pages in pink Duchess Nicole wrote: "Love your review, and love your updates! This entire book was a big WTF for me. At no point did I see any redeeming qualities in Taylor. Can't see where the high ratings are coming from, but I g..."
Totally agreed-cannot imagine how Taylors character can be viewed endearing or in any way likeable. I wanted to throttle her-AND him for putting up with her stupid ass... **sigh** This book had a great storyline and such potential!!!!- it's kind of a shame!! **shaking head in frustration**

Duchess Nicole It really is a shame...I like the story, but if it were a movie, it would have been overacted... It was as if the author was trying to make the reader feel something but not giving enough reason for it. I've seen it compared to Easy, and for me, it's NOTHING like it. Easy was fabulous. I've also seen it compared to Beautiful Disaster, but I haven't read that one. Have you read either?

Duchess Nicole By the way, LOVE your Joe profile pic! I've been looking up pictures of him now for the last twenty minutes, LOL!

Holly's pages in pink Duchess Nicole wrote: "By the way, LOVE your Joe profile pic! I've been looking up pictures of him now for the last twenty minutes, LOL!"

Daaayyuummnnn-I love me some Joe. Good god that man is ALL kinds of right.... I think my eyes are glazing over thinking about it!! (Snapping back to reality) have read both Easy and Beautiful Disaster- loved Easy- but seriously- BD is one of my all time favs- VERY worth your time- the sizzle between the main characters is absolutely fantastical and smokin hot- you route for them to make it- you NEED them to make it-**sigh** I may have to re-read ths and soon- I've been trying clear my kindle this week, and as a result have come up with a few disappointing reads- BD is NOT one of them!!! Highly, HIGHLY recommended.

Duchess Nicole He's my dream man (aside from my husband, LOL!) I think BD is definitely a go, then! It's such a controversial book, it's got to be good, lol!

Holly's pages in pink Duchess Nicole wrote: "He's my dream man (aside from my husband, LOL!) I think BD is definitely a go, then! It's such a controversial book, it's got to be good, lol!"

I'm with you on the dream man- whew!!! OVER HERE JOE!!!! Hahaaa- lol

You will NOT regret BD!!! Enjoy!!! :)

Selina J I completely agree with your review. I read BD first and absolutely loved it! So I read it again lol (which is rare for me) so I thought I'd give this one a try thinking it would be a good read.....so wrong. The main character was just so awful! If I had a guy doing all those nice things for me I would not be kneeing him in his kibbles and bits....he was such a nice guy and she was a complete bitch....and yeah I agree his big secret was waaay worse than hers. Ok I'm done.

Holly's pages in pink Selina wrote: "I completely agree with your review. I read BD first and absolutely loved it! So I read it again lol (which is rare for me) so I thought I'd give this one a try thinking it would be a good read......."

Thanks Selina!!! Glad there's another BD fan out there- dang I just loved that book!!!!