May's Reviews > The 4:8 Principle: The Secret to a Joy-Filled Life

Jan 13, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in January, 2009

Thanks Pam!
P. 6: "Joy is not a distant destination at which you arrive; rather it's a path you choose to travel each day." Sounds like a good start!

A few days later: I just finished the book, and I made so many marks in margins I don't know where to start. Yet, I loved the chapter on gratitude most. Listen to this: "Gratitude involves channeling your energy and attention toward what is present and working rather than what's absent and ineffective [...:] Gratitude is an effective antidote to most negative emotions. You cannot experience gratitude and hostility at the same time; you have to make a choice. Which one is it going to be?" Reading this chapter, I realized gratitude is something I often feel in my life, but never thought to intentionally cultivate. I like the idea.
Then, there is a list of obstacles to gratitude, one being worry (and it was those worries that prompted my discussion with Pam, and her sweet gift of this book). I loved that quote from Mark Twain: "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." That's one worth memorizing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 4.