Darren's Reviews > Clementine

Clementine by Cherie Priest

M_50x66
Oct 03, 12

Read from September 29 to October 03, 2012

Okay, I liked this book. I really did. After reading "Boneshaker" and it's everything but the kitchen sink - Blimps! Zombies! Giant Digging Machines! Big Wall around Seattle! Civil War lasted 20 Years (exaggerated the last one) - this rather understated chase novel was an enjoyable and welcome change.

That said, it really felt like it was missing Act II. By the time our two protagonists met up, it was time for the big conclusion. Their interactions felt pretty flimsy, especially when we consider that Belle is an ex-Confederate spy and Croggon Hainey is an ex-slave turned air pirate. Instead, they went from uneasy truce to brother/sister under fire together just like that *snap*

Finally, the villain was barely even two-dimensional. We heard a bad thing about his invention, we heard he was mean to a kid, then he is gone. I think it might have been more interesting to strip him out completely and left the invention as the enemy. It would have been more interesting.

All said, it was a fun little read, which is why I went ahead and gave it 4 stars. However, unlike "Boneshaker" I don't ever see myself wanting to reread this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clementine.