Jessica's Reviews > Going Vintage

Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

Mar 15, 13

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in March, 2013

Oh man, you have no idea how excited I was when this book showed up in my mailbox the other day. I started the book that night and finished it the next day. And you know what? I completely fell in love with this novel.

Mallery has had a pretty good life since she moved to a new school a little over a year ago. But when she figures out her boyfriend cheated on her with a cyberwife, Mallery swears of technology. Inspired by a list made by her Grandmother when she was a junior in 1962, Mallery decides to go vintage and complete the list as a way to redefine her life and truly discover who she is. But the list isn't as easy as it seems, and Mallery learns a whole lot more about not only herself, but the people in her life as well.

This book was just too awesome. In honor of Mallery and her adorable need to list everything in her life, here's a list of everything I loved about Going Vintage.

1. Mallery. This girl is seriously amazing. I loved her whole independent attitude and quirkiness, especially how she isn't afraid to be who she is. Her whole vintage kick was so fun and makes me want to go out, buy a fluffy dress, and dial up my sister on a rotary phone.

2. The 1960s obsession. Vintage is such a fun thing to explore, especially when it's from the 60s, so I loved it when Mallery would discover new things about her Grandma's life as a teen in the 60s. That time period sounds so simple and fun.

3. Oliver. Can I have him? Please???

4. Mallery's family/friends. Seriously, it's one thing for a book to have an awesome main character, but it's even more awesome for the book to have awesome secondary characters (Yes, I'm aware that I just said awesome three times in one sentence). Mallery's sister is so much fun and I loved their super close relationship. Then, the storyline with Mallery's grandma was so perfect for this book. And, we can't forget Mallery's parents! All of the little added storylines in this book made it all that more addicting.

5. The quirkiness. I know I already said that Mallery was quirky, but this entire book was quirky and utterly lovable. This kind of reminds me of something Stephanie Perkins would write, which probably explains why I adore it so much.

So if you couldn't tell, I loved this book. I wish I could read it over again for the first time because it was just so cute and perfect. Every contemporary YA fan has to go out and pick up this book right now. Mallery is a character you have to meet because you're bound to absolutely love her. Going Vintage is definitely a book you don't want to miss out on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Vintage.