Dylanb2012's Reviews > The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Jan 09, 09

"There was things which he stretched, but he mainly told the truth. That is nothing. I never seen anybody but lied one time or another..,"

Do you believe that the narrator is creating a meaning in the beginning of the whole story? I really can't say, but "that ain't no matter". mark Twain's "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" gives an authentic tale about the main character, Huck Finn. This young boy takes matter in his own hands and sets out to escape from his homeland, be a freeman, and becoming someone different. You are thinking in your little minds and saying "who the heck is Huck Finn, and how does he become different when he does go out in the world on his own?" Well, Huck isn't just another small white boy. He is the greatest, and uses his plans to get himself out of many situations. Huck's Adventures gives a big humor because Huck gets away with many things he faces. His quest also got me stressed out with the language, because this crazy book kept me soooo confused about what the characters say. I did approve of Right vs. wrong, because what maybe right is wrong, and what maybe wrong is right.

First, Without my favorite character Huck, this story wouldn't have funny adventures. As Huck goes from place to place, there were many "scenes" in his travels that really put many laughs to my face. Huck was called the "Angel Of Death" by his drunk and retarded pa, and He also earned 40 dollars on his way to Cairo. Huck even dresses as a tiny girl to foll the lady who lived in the woods (bu t the old woman knew he was being fake... crap!!) One part from "The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn really got me freaked out when Tom Sawer says:

"Why, To saw Jim's leg off."

Huck: "Good land!, Why, there ain't no necessity for it! And what would you want to saw his leg off for anyway?"

"Well, some of the best authorities has done it..."

It's really amazing to see Huck i action. Huck's devious ways are so invincible and outrageous (He is just that good!)!!

Second, Huck befriending Jim brings up the language in the Novel. The Language is the most confusing and wackiest set of cracked words I have ever read (and HATE!!!!). Huck's friend Jim is a Negro. Most Negroes back in the 1800's were slaves, and didn't know how to read/write. Almost every Negro in the book speak the same way. For instance, Jim Says:

"Yo' ole father doan know yit what he's a gwyne to do. sometimes he spec he'll go way, en den a gin he spec he'll stay"

I'm sorry Jim, but I barely have any idea of what ya' said. It's very said though, because Jim doesn't have the right to learn, and speak like Huck can. I'm glad that Huck understands Jim, and became friends with him too. Even if Huck didn't trust Jim, he still got him out of many situations that most whites should never do for Negroes. But, does it really seem that Huck and Jim are "Best friends"?

Next, (MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!) Huck has to deal with his biggest fear-- RIGHT vs. WRONG. I was "afeard" this was going to happened. Sometimes, when Huck encounters a problem that has to deal with right and wrong, these words switch places in the story. That thing is whatever the reader sees what Huck does is right, it's actually wrong to Huck himself. "The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn starts off,

"All right, then, i'll go straight to hell"

'I shoved the whole thing out of my head and decided I would take wickedness again, which was in my line, being brung up to it, and the other warn't.
...I would go to work and steal Jim out of slavery again...'

For real though, I can't say whether what Huck does is right or wrong. Most times it's convincing. Mainly because most characters who are innocent, are the cruel and mean in the story all along. Is it true that in reality, what's right can be wrong and what's wrong can be right?

In conclusion, The adventures Of Huckleberry Finn really has a tale to tell. I enjoyed the humor of Huck's impossible ways. I do not adore the language of how the Negroes talked. But I did love th right vs. wrong challenges. Between a 1 and 10, I give this book a 9, because it brings the reality to the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Your review put a laugh to my face, Thank you.