Sara ♥'s Reviews > A Swiftly Tilting Planet

A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle

Jan 23, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, science-fiction, audiobook, challenge-winter-2008, 2009
Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

3.5 stars. This book turned out pretty well. I love Madeleine's use of words. "Might-have-beens"... Such an interesting premise.

Yes, I got really really really really pissed off during the middle of the book, and had to take a couple days off. In Charles Wallace's adventures, he ends up in a place a lot like Salem, Massachusetts. What can I say? Closed-minded, illogical hypocrites piss me off. How anyone back them could persecute "witches" and call themselves Christian is completely beyond me.

But really, that just goes to show what a good job Ms. L'Engle did in setting up the premise of the story, such that we cared about the characters enough to become completely indignant over their persecution. And it would be one thing if the entire book was fictional (which it IS), but it's based in actual historical events!

In fact, this entire book wasn't as OUT THERE as the others. I mean, it was. I thought it was as I was reading it. There were all sorts of mystical/magical things going on (not including the unicorn)... but it was more like what you would think of as cultural legends. If it weren't for said unicorn and the bits with the time traveling and taking over other people's bodies... and the kything, of course... It would all be fairly believable.

So, while the book WAS out there, it was the most believeable of the first three books, in my opinion. Which is why it pissed me off. In the first book, the bad guy was "evil" sort of in general. Evil that was surrounding a planet that they had to save their father from. In book 2, the bad guy were Echthroi, or what I would probably call evil spirits. Still very obtuse. But this book... the bad guys were PEOPLE. And that evokes a stronger feeling than the other two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Swiftly Tilting Planet.

01/16/2009 page 127
100% "So far, this one is much more fantasy than the previous two. It's a little... out there... but interesting."
01/19/2009 page 152
100% "So this book is totally pissing me off, in a Warriors Don't Cry way. I HATE prejudice. And the bad guys... PISS ME OFF. I hope they die!"