Taka's Reviews > The Sun Also Rises

it was ok
bookshelves: american_lit, japan_jul07-aug11, modernist_lit
Read from December 11 to 18, 2010

It's OK--

The first time I read this was when I was in middle school, when I was struggling to learn English. I had a totally different image of the story and it was a surprise.

In sum, Book I was really good, Book II fell short and was plain boring with nothing much happening but fishing and talking, and Book III was OK, with a long, slow section followed by a bit of action.

I wasn't really impressed by Hemingway's writing style that supposedly combines startling imagery using conjunctions (or pretentiously, polysyndeton) and gives off an air of "biblical grandeur." Maybe I was too busy and distracted to notice it, but I didn't see it or feel it. His attempts at describing emotions "scientifically" I think failed spectacularly, but then I haven't dissected the novel with a literary scalpel, so I might be dead wrong.

In my opinion, though, his The Old Man and the Sea is FAR better than this jejune and overly celebrated book.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun Also Rises.

Brad You trashed my favourite book, Taka! I get where you're coming from, though.

Taka haha sorry! It didn't do it for me. Neither did The Great Gatsby.

Brad I'm with you on Gatsby.