Janie Johnson's Reviews > The Bride Collector

The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker

Oct 01, 12

Read from September 29 to October 01, 2012

For anyone that loves the works of Ted Dekker, you will recognize the all too familiar feeling of intensity and excitement as soon as you read the first page. You know that it is gonna be a great read before you even have the chance to get going or get too far into it. This book has all the well-known twists that makes Dekker’s books so phenomenal.

What I liked most about this book was the great character development of our resident psychopath, our bad guy, who thinks he is doing God’s bidding. Dekker almost lets you crawl inside his mind and see the gears moving. He is so greatly created and he is one of those characters you try to understand, but simply can’t because his reasoning is most certainly beyond your comprehension.

This book also touches our emotional side a bit too. Kind of makes you dig a little deeper inside yourself as you watch the characters unfold in the story. You begin to feel what they feel. I love how our main character, Brad, finds a little bit more of himself gradually. He discovers he can be weak, yet it is important that he remains strong as well. He lives a shattered life and begins to find reason, and maybe a bit of love in the mix. All of this, while he tracks a killer who is wreaking havoc in his world.

I also like how he brought in the use of what society so similarly refer to as “crazy” people. Dekker uses them brilliantly. The readers can easily become enthralled with how they evolve throughout the story. It is easy to fall in love with them as you watch them unfold, and play their parts in the evil plot. I think this book could even change the way Society views them. Well in a perfect world anyway.

Although I don’t feel like it is as good as some of Dekker’s works, and maybe just a tad predictable. It still has that same incredible flow that Dekker fans love. It is definitely one of those books you hate to end, and surely worth a read. And it gets 4.5 stars from me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bride Collector.

09/29/2012 page 11
09/30/2012 page 106
22.0% 2 comments
10/01/2012 page 303
65.0% 5 comments
show 18 hidden updates…

message 1: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Excellent review, Janie!:) I really enjoyed it a lot!

Janie Johnson Thanks Dustin! Appreciate that!

message 3: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin You are always welcome. I particularly enjoyed your paragraph on getting inside the killers head. I LOVE stories like that! And Dekker's take on "crazies," as well.

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee Nice review... now shall I go find a Dekkar book or another McCammon, decisions decisions...

message 5: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Lee wrote: "Nice review... now shall I go find a Dekkar book or another McCammon, decisions decisions..."

message 6: by Janie (last edited Oct 02, 2012 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janie Johnson Dustin wrote: "Well they're both excellent writers, Lee... you can't go wrong with either one.:)"

I agree with Dustin, they are both phenominal, but there is the difference of one being a fast read and one not. For me anyway. I think McCammon books are far more complex than Dekker.

message 7: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin I haven't read a whole lot of either, but I think both can be quite complex in their own ways.