Tria's Reviews > In Sea-Salt Tears

In Sea-Salt Tears by Seanan McGuire

Mar 26, 13

bookshelves: genre-fantasy, owned-ebook, owned-paper-unabridged
Read on March 26, 2013, read count: 2

Review from 1st read, August/September 2012. 2nd read, March 2013.

Firstly, for anyone who hasn't seen this about: the ebook is available through Seanan's website, seananmcguire.com. It's free to download and is not available in print form at this point.

Secondly, for Toby readers who have never heard Seanan's music, I suggest you try to find the song "In This Sea", from her album "Stars Fall Home" (now sadly out of print). It ties in perfectly to this, its companion story. I read this a while after learning and loving the song, and the references in the song hit me like a 2 by 4 when I read the novella. A nice 2 by 4 though.

"In Sea-Salt Tears" is a beautiful, sometimes breathtaking 20-page novella about Elizabeth and Annie, both characters any reader of Seanan McGuire's Toby Daye series will have met by other (and the same) names by the end of "One Salt Sea".

It's possible to read and love this before you know who they are. It gives more nuance and depth when you read it after. It's a lovely romance between two women who are what they are, what they must be, and what they choose to be - even if that means losing other parts of their lives. I definitely recommend it. Have tissues nearby if you're an emotional type, and even if you're not; you might cry a bit. I did, and I would not consider myself an overly emotional type of person. Seanan just knows how to get to me. And I'm glad she does!
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Sea-Salt Tears.

message 1: by Inga (new) - added it

Inga East "In This Sea

Tria Inga wrote: ""In This Sea"

Um, Inga, sorry to say but part of your comment seems to have disappeared; what did you mean to say? I'm pleased you like my review, anyway, thanks for that!