Christy Luis's Reviews > A Brief History of Montmaray

A Brief History of Montmaray by Michelle Cooper

Nov 19, 12

Read from September 29 to November 19, 2012

On the fictitious-although-you'd-swear-it-was-real island of Montmaray, boredom ENDS for the the FitzOsbornes. Sophie, a charming girl of sixteen, lives on the island, in a castle, with her royal family of sorts. It is 1936, and the world on the brink of war. Montmaray becomes involved through the strangest of circumstances, leaving them in dire conditions. How will the isolated inhabitants survive? Will they have to leave their home? Will they even live to attempt an escape?
The author, Michelle Cooper, did an ingenious thing with A Brief History: she made it into a journal, so we don't know if the characters actually DO make it until the end of the book. Until we get there, of course. (Okay, so you could also skip to the last page or check for sequels, but that takes all the fun out of it! :)
Sophie is plagued by insecurities, but the picture she paints with her words tells us she's a good person. I liked her immediately.
I DO have a weakness for historical novels, as I'm finding out. Although Montmaray is fictitious, there is plenty of history involved in this book, all explained in the quirky voice of Sophie.
There were some loose ends, but that could easily be remedied by a sequel...
However! This book stands alone just fine. Great read, great detail, great voice...what could be better! Awards, of course! And professional recommendations. Yes, it has won both.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Brief History of Montmaray.