Jason Kristopher's Reviews > Wool Omnibus

Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey

Sep 29, 2012

I own a copy

One of the Best Sci-Fi Books I've Ever Read

And that's saying something, from someone who owns nearly 2,000 books, most of them sci-fi.

It takes a lot to get 5 stars from me. The book has to be near-perfect in every conceivable way, and it has to make me want to read it again and again. I want to see 5-star books made into movies, because reading them makes me feel like a part of that world. The prose has to be spot-on, with few if any typos, the formatting has to be well done, and above all, I have to keep turning pages.

Hugh Howey has scored a perfect 10 for me with this book, and from the very first sentence: "The children were playing while Holston climbed to his death; he could hear them squealing as only happy children do."

Speaking as an author and a publisher, that is one HELL of a hook. And the story never lets up from there. I found myself staying up quite late to read just a little bit more, turning pages as though there were no tomorrow, wanting to see RIGHT NOW what was going to happen next. The imagery Howey uses in his storytelling is profound and descriptive without being overwrought and pedantic. The characters are unique and distinct, troubled and haunted by decisions they and their ancestors and their ancestors before them had made.

I've heard this book and the rest of the series is currently in development as a movie or series. I for one certainly hope that's true, and that the idiots in Hollywood do this story justice. I can't wait to read more from Hugh Howey.

Jason Kristopher
Author of The Dying of the Light: End
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wool Omnibus.