Erick's Reviews > Black Boy

Black Boy by Richard Wright

M 50x66
Jan 09, 09

Read in January, 2009

The book I’m reviewing is Black Boy by Richard Wright. It’s nonfiction story based on Richard Wright's life. Wright’s main theme is the hunger. The story takes place in Natchez, Mississippi and around year 1921. Richard starts off as a young kid, who was bored at the time. He decides to burn the curtains and the blaze burns down the house. Richard struggles due to problems with his family, and the fact that they can't seem to get along. It all begins with his father. After Richard’s family has finical problems he begins to see cuts in his food supply and his clothes. Hunger is a huge thing in this story he writes about his hunger and uses it as a metaphor for his father. His father has fuel hater in him. He struggles with his mother and racial issues in his life.
This book was phenomenal. I liked how he wrote in a way that he didn't hold back. I connected with this book because of the family struggles and the situations they go through. My favorite character was the main character Richard. He was a kid who goes through hard times yet always stayed positive. I admire that. Especially trying to move further in the future even with the racial stereotypes and racism. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes inspirational tales about someone who comes from nothing and makes something of himself. If you liked the movie Paid In Full or the book The Power Of One, you will love the book Black Boy by Richard Wright. It's the same rise of Richard and the same up bringing in The Power Of One.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Boy.